[Curriculuminventory] spec updates for your review

Valerie Smothers vsmothers at jhmi.edu
Mon Sep 29 15:30:46 UTC 2014

Hi, everyone.

On our August Curriculum Inventory Working group call, we reviewed some changes to the spec designed to make it easier to show that a course spans multiple academic levels (ie phases, years, etc). The decision on the call was to request that the full group review the changes. So please take a look, take into consideration your own program or, if you are a vendor, the programs of your clients, and let us know if these changes work.

The pages are on pages 39 and 43-45 . The proposal is to have a new element called AcademicLevelReferences for each Sequence Block. The AcademicLevelReferences would indicate the starting and ending academic levels for a sequence block. So if a course began in year 1 and ended in year 2, you would use AcademicLevelReferences to indicate that the starting academic level is year 1 and the ending academic level is year 2.

AcademicLevelReferences can also be used to indicate that a course may occur in one sequence block or another. There is a scheduling attribute that has the values longitudinal and flexible. So if the Ethic of Medicine course may occur in year 1 or 2, you would put year 1 as the starting academic level, year 2 as the ending academic level and give the scheduling attribute a value of flexible. You would use longitudinal if the course begins in one level and ends in another.

Please provide feedback on the proposed change. If you have questions, please let me know. Thank you!