[Ciimplementer] <lom:catalog>URI</lom:catalog>

Paul Schilling paul at schillingconsulting.com
Thu Jan 30 17:17:32 UTC 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:03 AM, Terri Cameron <tcameron at aamc.org> wrote:

> What should <lom:catalog>URI</lom:catalog> point to?

From the Competency Framework Specification:

The following example shows an identifier for a competency definition that uses a URI cataloging scheme.

<Identifier>
  <Catalog>URI</Catalog>
  <Entry>http://www.medschool.edu/competencies/kp87t</Entry>
</Identifier>

I think most of us are doing something like:

<Identifier>
  <Catalog>URI</Catalog>
  <Entry>http://www.medschool.edu/ci/objectives/school/0001</Entry>
</Identifier>

or

<Identifier>
  <Catalog>URI</Catalog>
  <Entry>http://www.medschool.edu/ci/objectives/course/0123</Entry>
</Identifier>

The path doesn't have to resolve but needs to be unique.  I believe most implementations use the patch to give a hint as to what type of thing it is.  If all your IDs are unique you could just have:

<Identifier>
  <Catalog>URI</Catalog>
  <Entry>http://www.medschool.edu/ci/0001</Entry>
</Identifier>