[Ciimplementer] Please share tips and best practices!

Cohen, Sascha Sascha.Cohen at ucsf.edu
Fri Jan 24 13:14:49 UTC 2014

I would concur with all the previous notes, and add that checking and validating the output for the report in the initial tables --- including titling, date ranges, cumulative hours, etc --- is key.

Not only iterative submission in chunks, but also frequent and repeated submission! I've been urging our folks here to model, submit, review, and refactor, and then repeat, as many times as possible until they have as close to what they want in the report as is feasible. This helps not only to provide training, a better understanding of the process overall, but also to highlight the strengths and weaknesses present in the current systems.

I would also add that while precision is always important, at this stage of the game none of us should let the perfect become the enemy of the good --- this becomes important when modeling issues such as clerkship presentations and other variable and/or complex sequence blocks which may wind up being imprecise in this first iteration. We (UCSF, and Ilios) are taking the approach of finding the most effective balance between data input, modeling, and presented output, and working with that balance. I expect that next year we will have significantly more robust tools with which to model and validate (and adapt) our data.

Sascha Benjamin Cohen
Director of Strategic Development for Ilios
UCSF School of Medicine
sascha.cohen at ucsf.edu<mailto:sascha.cohen at ucsf.edu>

415.704.4521 mobile
http://curriculum.ucsf.edu