[Standards] [Educationaltrajectory] Educational Achievement comments and recommendations

Stratton, Sandra sstratton at royalcollege.ca
Thu Oct 13 15:50:22 UTC 2016

Quoting Valerie Smothers (vsmothers at jhmi.edu<mailto:vsmothers at jhmi.edu>):

>Section 8.2, Page 23, the Language element, indicates the language of

>the achievement data for a program of study. Would achievement data for

>a program ever be conveyed in more than one language? Are there

>Canadian schools that would have data in both French and English, for example?

I would expect that Learner Notes and Faculty Notes under Assessment Results may be entered in whatever language (English or French) that the individual is more comfortable with.

>Section 8.2, Page 23, Supporting Link, recommend multiple. That would

>allow for links to multiple supporting documents for the curriculum.

I also agree.

>Section 8.3.1, page 29 and section 8.6.1, page 63, Site – recommend

>adding a sentence to provide recommended usage.

No opinion.

>Section 8.3.3, page 36, Date – this is the date of assessment.

>Recommend adding clarification about which date should be used for

>assessments lasting more than one day – the last day or the first?

No opinion

>Section 8.3.3, page Observation Duration and observer role – Is it

>possible to have more than one observer? And if there is more than one

>observer, should each observer’s duration of observation and role be captured independently?

I agree with Alan’s comment:

I also think it is safe to treat more than one observer as more than one observation, and therefore each would be captured as a separate observation (of the same event).

>Section 8.3.4, page 39, 44, and 47 – Not Yet assessable - Are there

>other possible reasons for a score to be missing (withheld, restricted,

>invalidated, pending, etc.)? Should those be documented?

No opinion.

Sandra Stratton
Manager, Information Management | Gestionnaire, Gestion de l’information
Information Management and Technology Services (IMTS) | Services des technologies et de la gestion de l’information (STGI)
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada  |  Collège royal des médecins et chirurgiens du Canada
774 Echo Drive, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1S 5N8 | 774, promenade Echo, Ottawa (ON) Canada K1S 5N8
Tel/Tél  613-730-8177 ext/poste 314  Toll Free/Sans frais 1-800-668-3740 ext/poste 314
Cell  613-324-3731
royalcollege.ca<https://rc1691.rcpsc.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://royalcollege.ca>  |  collegeroyal.ca<https://rc1691.rcpsc.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://collegeroyal.ca>

>Dear Standards Committee and Educational Trajectory Working Group:

>Section 8.2, Page 23, the Language element, indicates the language of

>the achievement data for a program of study. Would achievement data for

>a program ever be conveyed in more than one language? Are there

>Canadian schools that would have data in both French and English, for example?

I am not from a Canadian school, but that would not surprise me at all.

>Section 8.2, Page 23, Supporting Link, recommend multiple. That would

>allow for links to multiple supporting documents for the curriculum.

AGreed

>Section 8.3.1, page 29 and section 8.6.1, page 63, Site – recommend

>adding a sentence to provide recommended usage.

Agree

>Section 8.3.3, page 36, Date – this is the date of assessment.

>Recommend adding clarification about which date should be used for

>assessments lasting more than one day – the last day or the first?

Agree, and I suggest the last day makes most sense.

>Section 8.3.3, page Observation Duration and observer role – Is it

>possible to have more than one observer? And if there is more than one

>observer, should each observer’s duration of observation and role be captured independently?

I think it is safe to treat more than one observer as more than one observation, and therefore each would be captured as a separate observation (of the same event).

>Section 8.3.4, page 39, 44, and 47 – Not Yet assessable - Are there

>other possible reasons for a score to be missing (withheld, restricted,

>invalidated, pending, etc.)? Should those be documented?

No opinion.

- Alan

--

Alan Schwartz

The Michael Reese Endowed Professor of Medical Education Associate Head, UIC Department of Medical Education Research Professor, UIC Department of Pediatrics alansz at uic.edu<mailto:alansz at uic.edu>  |  http://ulan.mede.uic.edu/alansz  |  PGP: 0x062556CF