[Curriculuminventory] Sample XML

Valerie Smothers vsmothers at jhmi.edu
Thu Jul 21 14:58:18 UTC 2011

Hi, Juliane.

Thank you so much for doing this!!! It is really helpful. I made some changes so that the document would be valid with the current (updated) schema and spec for the most part. I've attached a document that details the changes made and a valid XML file.

I also think the sample gives us a lot to discuss. For example, you put the Molecular Biology of Human disease course as an event - do we want events to be more granular, like the various lectures and activities in the 5 week course? Or is that up to the person implementing how granular they want to get? I'm not sure we can enforce our decision, but the nuance would affect the language in the spec and any implementation guidelines we develop. Also, if the report is retrospective, all the data would be for the year past - and all 4 classes if they are on the same curriculum.

The current spec does have additional elements to link events to sequence blocks. In addition, there are elements for things like percent effort, how many students participated, etc. The updated spec and schema are on the wiki at: http://groups.medbiq.org/medbiq/display/CI/Specifications+and+Schemas