[Competencies] Preliminary results of performance framework review

Scott Kroyer skroyer at e-value.net
Mon Jun 23 15:48:06 UTC 2014

I have an example of previously unknown unknowns and an argument for decimals -- the current ACGME milestones.

An option that residency programs want is to have both an NA and a “not yet achieved Level 1” option in addition to the actual competency levels. “Not yet achieved Level 1” needs to be either 0 or an exceptionally small decimal value (e.g. 0.00001) so that it is counted as part of an aggregate population, but does not contribute significantly toward the aggregate value. In addition, NA does not equate to a true NULL value since it is an affirmative selection. However, it is an affirmative selection that is typically neither expected to contribute to an aggregate value nor to that aggregate’s population — for example, it should add to neither the numerator nor the denominator in percentages.

As such, NA needs to be some value outside of the scale range, and “Not yet achieved” needs to be one of a very narrow set of values outside of the scale range. At least, that’s the best I’ve come up with so far without handling one or both selections as additional metadata rather than as values of the same field.  The argument for not handling the “not yet achieved” option with a negative is that it cannot be handled with a straight aggregation without it penalizing the overall aggregate rather than simply not contributing to the aggregate. Both seem to me to be valid but distinctly different end goals.

Scott Kroyer – Software Development Manager & Architect
E*Value Healthcare Education Solutions
10 Second Street NE, Suite 300 | Minneapolis, MN
d 612-877-4589 | m 612-246-4936 | www.e-value.net<http://www.e-value.net/>

[unknown.png] <http://www.evaluehealthcare.com/conference>